Re: USB Keyboard

On Thu, 16 Aug 2007, linux-os (Dick Johnson) wrote:

> Okay. I found what was different. It does actually build, but it is now
> put into a completely different directory,
> /lib/modules/2.6.22.1/kernel/drivers/hid/usbhid, and requires
> /lib/modules/2.6.22.1/kernel/drivers/input/ff-memless.ko to be installed
> before it can be.

Only if you enabled force feedback for HID devices in your menuconfig. And
if you did so, it perfectly makes sense that the force-feedback input
module must be loaded.

> None of this is documented and it makes upgrading extremely difficult,
> expecially when a keyboard won't work anymore.

1) what strange distro/environment do you use that the usbhid driver is
   not loaded automatically when you plug the keyboard in?
2) even if your module autoloading is that much broken, you can always ssh
   to the box or attach PS/2 keyboard and modprobe usbhid ... that works
   no matter which directory keeps the driver

There is nothing to be documented there, we don't document which directory
holds which driver.

> BYW, it did fix the problem with the old driver.

Good to hear, thanks.

--
Jiri Kosina