Re: Thinking outside the box on file systems

--- Phillip Susi <[email protected]> wrote:

> Marc Perkel wrote:
> >
> > Kyle - you are still missing the point. chmod goes
> > away. File permissions goes away. Directories as
> you
> > know them goes away.
>
> You are missing the point Marc... open()ing a file
> will have to perform
> a number of these pattern matches to decide if it is
> allowed or not...
> this would be a HUGE overhead.

I don't see it as being any worse that what we have
now. To open a file you have to start at the bottom
and open each directory and evaluate the permissions
on the way to the file. In my system you have to look
up the permission of the string at each "/" separator.
Seems to me that every system would have these same
steps.

Marc Perkel
Junk Email Filter dot com
http://www.junkemailfilter.com