Re: Intel 82559 NIC corrupted EEPROM

Regarding the thread accessible at:

http://groups.google.com/group/linux.kernel/browse_frm/thread/bdc8fd08fb601c26

that ended with "looks like it is specific to your hardware",

Can I check where we are with this?

I've just had a small installation run fail on 3 boxes with the same
problems, on new hardware, which sort of suggests there is no longer a
shortage of test scenarios.

To summarise, in my case it looks as though it really was a bad
checksum, by using the eepro100 driver and the lucky-fortune eeprom tool
at http://www.hockin.org/~thockin/enet_eeprom/enet_eeprom.tgz I was able
to re-write the mac address and thus have the EEPROM checksum re-calculated.

I don't recall the original reporter (John) saying that he had tried this.

I'm still checking with my supplier to see how this could have happened.

Sam