Re: [patch] ipvs: force read of atomic_t in while loop

On Thursday 09 August 2007 02:15:33 Andi Kleen wrote:
> On Wed, Aug 08, 2007 at 05:08:44PM -0400, Chris Snook wrote:
> > Heiko Carstens wrote:

> > >Well..currently it's i386/x86_64 and s390 which have no volatile
> > >in atomic_t. And yes, of course I agree it should be consistent
> > >across all architectures. But it isn't.
> >
> > Based on recent discussion, it's pretty clear that there's a lot of
> > confusion about this.  A lot of people (myself included, until I thought
> > about it long and hard) will reasonably assume that calling
> > atomic_read() will actually read the value from memory.  Leaving out the
> > volatile declaration seems like a pessimization to me.  If you force
> > people to use barrier() everywhere they're working with atomic_t, it
> > will force re-reads of all the non-atomic data in use as well, which
> > will cause more memory fetches of things that generally don't need
> > barrier().  That and it's a bug waiting to happen.
> >
> > Andi -- your thoughts on the matter?
>
> I also think readding volatile makes sense. An alternative would be
> to stick an rmb() into atomic_read() -- that would also stop speculative reads.
> Disadvantage is that it clobbers all memory, not just the specific value.
>
> But you really have to complain to Linus (cc'ed). He came up
> with the volatile removale change iirc.

Isn't it possible through some inline assembly trick
that only a certain variable has to be reloaded?
So we could define something like that:

#define reload_var(x) __asm__ __volatile__ (whatever, x)

I don't know inline assembly that much, but isn't it possible
with that to kind of "fake-touch" the variable, so the compiler
must reload it (and only it) to make sure it's up to date?

--
Greetings Michael.