Re: Error message from device_rename in drivers/base/core.c

Cornelia Huck wrote:
On Tue, 07 Aug 2007 21:37:24 -0700 (PDT),
David Miller <[email protected]> wrote:

I think this check belongs in udev not in the kernel.  Thankfully
this message at least tells us it is happening, please don't
remove it.

Hm, device_rename() could alternatively just return success if
dev->bus_id and new_name are the same.

That is what my proposed patch did. One could argue that the test should come before the failure, not after, but the effect is the same.

I'm pretty sure it's UDEV doing this, and it should not try to rename
a netdevice to what it already is named.

But it shouldn't cause an error either :)

I agree with you, but you and David can fight it out. While finding out where to ask/complain about udev, I had a private communication with GregKH. He thinks that a patch to fix this has already been pushed through Linus. As Linville's wireless-dev tree is a little behind, I'm waiting to see if it gets fixed here by 2.6.23-rc3. If not, I'll talk to the udev/hotplug folks.