Re: why are some atomic_t's not volatile, while most are?

Chris Friesen wrote:
Chris Snook wrote:

But if you're not using SMP, the only way you get a race condition is if your compiler is reordering instructions that have side effects which are invisible to the compiler. This can happen with MMIO registers, but it's not an issue with an atomic_t we're declaring in real memory.

I refer back to the interrupt handler case.  Suppose we have:

while(!atomic_read(flag))
     continue;

where flag is an atomic_t that is set in an interrupt handler, the volatile may be necessary on some architectures to force the compiler to re-read "flag" each time through the loop.

Without the "volatile", the compiler could be perfectly within its rights to evaluate "flag" once and create an infinite loop.

Now I'm not trying to say that we should explictly use "volatile" in common code, but that it is possible that it is required within the arch-specific atomic_t accessors even on uniprocessor systems.

Chris

That's why we define atomic_read like so:

#define atomic_read(v)          ((v)->counter)

This avoids the aliasing problem, because the compiler must de-reference the pointer every time, which requires a memory fetch. This is usually fast thanks to caching, and hardware cache invalidation enforces correctness when it does change.