Re: high system cpu load during intense disk i/o

Hi,

Andrew Morton wrote:
I suspect I was fooled by the oprofile output, which showed tremendous
amounts of load in schedule() and switch_to().  The percentages which
opreport shows are the percentage of non-halted CPU time.  So if you have a
function in the kernel which is using 1% of the total CPU, and the CPU is
halted for 95% of the time, it appears that the function is taking 20% of
CPU!

The fix for that is to boot with the "idle=poll" boot parameter, to make
the CPU spin when it has nothing else to do.

I'll test again the two_discs_bad situation after booting with that parameter. Thanks.

I'm suspecting that your machine is just stuck in D state waiting for disk.
Did we have a sysrq-T trace?

The amazing thing is that this doesn't happen! Every single cron jobs that keeps running (I intentionally said that before too) and never ends is in R state. By strace'ing the processes they just seem to be going *extremely* slow. I also changed the I/O elevator of hdb (the OS disk) to deadline from cfq, unfortunately with no results. That is why I 've been considering it a CPU scheduler issue.

Dimitris