Re: libata git tree, mbox queue status and contents

Alan Cox wrote:

* Alan: IORDY handling -- upstream whenever Alan is happy

I'm happy with it from testing. Just a little worried about it going
upstream mid -rc as it could have a weird side effect somewhere. I've
verified an original pre ATA IDE drive with it too now 8)

* Alan: ACPI checks for 80wire cable -- upstream whenever Alan is happy

Happy

* Albert: irq_on/off. Really need to give this some thought. Not sure I like where this model is going. Polling and twiddling irq on/off should be kept to a minimum, because it's sorta an admission that the host state machine has broken down, and we need to bandaid. Its a bandaid not a root-cause solution.

I think of it more as an admission that the IDE design is lacking in a
few areas. No suprise as its an emulation of a 15 year old interface that
was normally used polled.

Hehe, note that even host polling has always been racy the way ATA spec. described it: there was noting said about the period whithin which the device should assert INTRQ after clearing BSY (and the interrupt-pending state wasn't clearly specified also), so there's a possibility for the fast host to *not* clear interrupt pending by reading the status reg. with BSY=0 but before the devie enters interrupt-pending state, and thus possibly stalling the further transfer.

MBR, Sergei