Re: Linux 2.6.23-rc2

On Sat, 4 Aug 2007, Jeff Chua wrote:

> On 8/4/07, Jeff Chua <[email protected]> wrote:
> >
> > > After resume from s2ram or switching to console from X, my console is
> > > messed up on rc1 and rc2. Is there a fix for this?
> >
> > This is on IBM X60. i915 chipset. No problem on 2.6.22. If this is a
> > known problem, than I don't need to bisect all over again.
>
> I managed to bisect down to this commit. Without this, console screen
> can resume without video mess.

[ The commit being 4fd06960f120e02e9abc802a09f9511c400042a5: "Use the new
  x86 setup code for i386" ]

Very interesting.

Jeff - do I understand correctly that the "or" means that even *without* a
suspend-to-ram sequence, and just by going into X and then going back to
text-mode, the screen is corrupt?

I just want to make sure that there is no suspend-related activity
required for this at all, and the only common issue is probably just that
suspend ends up *also* triggering the X mode-setting at resume..

If so, the most likely thing is that we use a different video mode at
boot, and while it may look similar, it's enough to confuse X. Not
entirely surprising: X tends to be easily confused, and some VGA registers
are write-only, so restoring modes can be surprisingly hard.

The other possibility is that the new code sets the same mode, but doesn't
set some memory value or other that the kernel used to see, and that X
queried to figure out the mode (ie likely some EDD info-block or other). I
thought that the X server did all that on its own these days, but that may
be just the newer "intel" driver, not the older "i810" driver that you
probably use.

(Side note: if you have a modern distro, you might try to change the line
that says

	Driver "i810"

in the /etc/X11/xorg.conf to say

	Driver "intel"

instead - just to check. However, the bug that triggered this
obviously needs to be fixed regardless).

Peter, any ideas?

		Linus