Re: ACPI on Averatec 2370

On Thu, 2 Aug 2007, Cal Peake wrote:
> On Thu, 2 Aug 2007, Linus Torvalds wrote:
> >
> > That said, the "AMD Turion(tm) 64 X2 Mobile Technology TL-52" _should_ be
> > a REV-F CPU afaik, and it should have thus fallen through to the
> > "ENABLE_C1E_MASK" logic. Afaik that's broken.
> >
> > Cal - can you
> >  (a) test that forcing a "return 1" from that amd_apic_timer_broken()
> >      function fixes it for you.
>
> ACK
>
> >  (b) make that function print out the values it uses for debugging (ie the
> >      xtended family and model numbers, and the MSR_K8_ENABLE_C1E MSR
> >      values)?
>
> eax & CPUID_XFAM == 0x00000000
> eax & CPUID_XMOD == 0x00040000

Yeah, that's a REV-F

> MSR_K8_ENABLE_C1E lo == 0x04c14015
> MSR_K8_ENABLE_C1E hi == 0x00000000
> lo & ENABLE_C1E_MASK == 0

And yeah, that claims that C1E is not on, but:

> amd_apic_timer_broken: forcing return value of 1

since this makes it all work for you, it does appear that the AMD local
timer stops in C1 even when that isn't true, and as such is not useful.

Sad. It probably means that we have to disable the local timer for *all*
modern AMD CPU's.

Thomas/Ingo - did something change in the local apic programming? Or why
did this work before? Was it just that we didn't use the local timer apic
for some other reason?

			Linus