Re: gcc fixed size char array initialization bug - known?

On 08/03/2007 01:26 AM, Guennadi Liakhovetski wrote:

On Thu, 2 Aug 2007, Randy Dunlap wrote:

C99 spec that Al referred you to (available for around US$18 as a pdf) says in 6.7.8, para. 14 (where Al said):

"An array of character type may be initialized by a character string
literal, optionally enclosed in braces. Successive characters of the
character string literal (including the terminating null character if
there is room or if the array is of unknown size) initialize the elements of the array."

Wow... So, the terminating '\0' in the string constant IS "special" and "optional"... Ok, then, THIS does answer my question, THIS I can understand, and, ghm, accept...

Thanks to all who tried to explain this to me and sorry it took so
long...

Ah come on, it would be great fun to now make the argument that that quoted bit doesn't actually say wat should happen when there's _no_ room for the terminating null character...

Rene.