Dynamic major/minor numbers (or dropping them completely)

*This message was transferred with a trial version of CommuniGate(r) Pro*
Currently, the kernel has the following properties:
1) initramfs can be used to boot the system. We don't need any predefined /dev entries. 2) udev can be started from the initramfs to create the required entries in /dev. udev doesn't care about major/minor numbers. 3) Most distros already use udev and maybe initramfs. If there are exceptions, they can be easily converted.

For the first part, I'm asking: is there any reason why new char/block drivers shouldn't use dynamic major/minor numbers? Is there any reason against converting the whole kernel to dynamic major/minor numbers?

Okay, maybe the previous questions looked useless from a pragmatic POV. But why shouldn't the whole major/minor numbering system be dropped completely? sysfs already maintains a hierachy of device drivers and kernel subsystems, one which is better than the major/minor system. The current system could be replaced by a single-numbered, dynamically-allocated scheme.

Device files could be stored on a tmpfs filesystem, so that we don't make any changes to current filesystems. Apps won't need to be modified, since they access /dev entries by name, provided udev maintains the current naming scheme.

Any thoughts on this?