Re: renaming kernel devices [was: VIA EPIA EK: strange eth dev numbering]

On Thu, Aug 02, 2007 at 01:47:23PM +0200, Jan Engelhardt wrote:
> It does not rename ethX to the "next free" one, but to a _persistent_ one.
> If it were a "next free" thing, then removing a card would shuffle all
> your eth around again (and invalidate your iptables rules at the same
> time, to note).

It is questionable what is _persistent_ . MAC-based names are persistent
with regard to adding and removing of other cards, 'Plain' names are persistent
with regard to replacing that card with different item (of a same kind).

I am very happy that (using 'plain' names) i can send technician to
replace broken NIC in our routers without need for configuration
change.

--
Elen sila lumenn' omentielvo

Ondrej 'SanTiago' Zajicek (email: [email protected], jabber: [email protected])