Re: VIA EPIA EK: strange eth dev numbering

On Aug 2 2007 14:00, Herbert Rosmanith wrote:
>> Wait, you forget that something may change the name. That dmesg message
>> from 1 second ago does not need to be valid anymore, just as anything
>> else in this world.
>
>there are many things in this world which are usually very persistent, and
>people rely on their persistence. e.g. in my office, I assume the phone number
>is still the same I used 1 second ago ... but what has this to do with
>ethernet device names? well: I expected the names persist - like they did
>without udev. I'm used that things persist, as probably the rest of the world
>:-)

Yes, your telephone number persists even if you plug it into another
jack (well, at least for my ISDN box, this holds true). Your names
did persist - no card uses eth0 (which seems to belong to another one
that is not currently installed). Note also that not the names per se
are persistent, the (name,device) tuples are.

	Jan