Re: 2.6.22 regression: thermal trip points

On Thu, Aug 02, 2007 at 12:02:21PM +0100, Alan Cox wrote:
> > Anyway, only solution/workaround to use these machines with current
> > kernels is to override trip points, maybe the patch should really just
> > be reverted...
>
> The question really is whether the vendors will all revert it and carry
> it as a patch or whether the main tree will accept reality on this one.
>
> Reverting it and adding a taint marker if you do it is much preferable I
> suspect to having every vendor revert this bogus if well meaning
> changeset.

I strongly suspect that the vast majority[1] of hardware that "needs"
the trip points changing works perfectly well under Windows, so it's
likely to be papering over bugs in the kernel. It'd be nice if we fixed
those rather than encouraging people to poke stuff into /proc,
especially when doing so is guaranteed to break in really confusing ways
with a lot of hardware. The firmware can reset the trip points at
essentially arbitrary times and is well within its rights to expect the
OS to actually pay attention to them.

[1] Some hardware is simply broken. We don't carry phc just because some
vendors put the wrong voltage values in their tables, either
--
Matthew Garrett | [email protected]