Re: Gericom Webboy Laptop Mouse/Touchpad

First of all, thanks for the quick response.

Or maybe run oprofile to try to figure out any abnormal system load?

vmstat may provide some initial information as to what kind of activity
exactly causes this issue.
I'm sorry. I'm not familar with those applications to get any useful information out of them. Any quick information on what i should be doing with it would be appreciated.

Hmm, I'm pondering what I'd do here...
Could it be that you're using the "old" IDE layer (not libata yet) and
hdparm -u or -d or -c is inconveniently set up?

Try configuring a different CONFIG_HZ?

And did you try running a "barebone"-only configuration? Possibly some
certain driver is causing this misbehaviour...
I'm already keeping the config as clean and minimal as i can imagine.

Anyway... I recompiled the kernel (2.6.22.2 now) with pure libata, CONFIG_HZ to 1000 (instead of 250). No effect yet.

Or maybe it's a simple X.org scheduling issue again?
What nice value do you run X.org at?
I'm using the default niceness which should be 10 no? I'm not re-nicing X if that was the question.

In this context it would be good to ask about possible memory pressure on
this system, too, since recently some people indicated more fluid X.org mouse
pointer operation when mlocking the pointer handling code to avoid
paging this code.
Well the system is low on memory (312M) but that was the last thing i would've been looking for since it somehow got the win32 gui and some games to render and work properly on it.

Maybe run powertop to identify timer anomalies?
This shows two interesting lines:
  56.5% ( 21.6)       <interrupt> : extra timer interrupt
  11.0% (  4.2)       <interrupt> : libata

Oh, given that IIRC the Webboy is a slightly older Gericom model which
thus may easily be a (somewhat hotter) P4 *desktop* CPU
It's a pentium-3.
  model name      : Pentium III (Coppermine)
  stepping        : 10
  cpu MHz         : 1097.269

could it be that
you're hitting thermal emergency throttling on increased system activity?
cat /proc/acpi/processor/*/throttling or something there might indicate
this.
When am I supposed to check this? During idle it's like the following:
  state count:             8
  active state:            T0
  states:
     *T0:                  00%