Re: [RFC 12/26] ext2 white-out support

On Wed, Aug 01, 2007 at 12:00:42PM +0200, Hans-Peter Jansen wrote:
> Am Dienstag, 31. Juli 2007 19:00 schrieb Jan Blunck:
> > >
> > > I think storing whiteouts on the branches is wrong. It creates all sort
> > > of nasty cases when people actually try to use unioning. Imagine a
> > > (no-so unlikely) scenario where you have 2 unions, and they share a
> > > branch. If you create a whiteout in one union on that shared branch,
> > > the whiteout magically affects the other union as well! Whiteouts are a
> > > union-level construct, and therefore storing them at the branch level
> > > is wrong.
> >
> > So you think that just because you mounted the filesystem somewhere else
> > it should look different? This is what sharing is all about. If you share
> > a filesystem you also share the removal of objects.
>
> No. At least I don't.
>
> Usage case: I heavily depend on using union mounts in diskless nfs setups,
> since it drops the amount of administration of many systems _near_ one. It
> boils down on installing the distribution of your choice in a directory,
> union mount it ro, overlayed with a node private one (doing this in initrd
> on the client for several reasons),

You're not sharing the rw layer so it's a different scenario, and will not
have the problem I'm talking about. See my other post [1] for exact scenario
where storing whiteouts on a branch would cause problems.

> add a little boot and automatic setup
> machinery and be done. Since all changes are persistant, any system can be
> set up individually, and still mostly only one tree is needed to keep up to
> date.. Being in production in an office environment since two years without
> major hassle (*).

Unionfs is used by many people in this way.

Josef 'Jeff' Sipek.

[1] http://lkml.org/lkml/2007/7/31/365

--
Intellectuals solve problems; geniuses prevent them
		- Albert Einstein