controller. The CRC is computed one end and verified the other. The OS
isn't directly involved.

This usually means either
#1 A 40 wire cable in use for > UDMA33

Not the case. Yesterday, I even replaced the 40 wire cable, in use for the DVD device, with a 80 wire one.

#2 A drive plugged into the middle of the cable and none on the end

Yes, this was the case. I plugged the drive on the end now, but the drive, which was plugged into the middle of the cable, wasn't the one, which errors, it was the DVD device (hdc).

#3 The short part of the cable connected between a drive and the
controller not the long part

Not the case.

And occassionally it may indicate power, iffy connectors or electrical
noise problems.

... don't know about how to find and remove such problems...

I still have those messages, but now there seem to be much less of them.

It would really help me, if someone could tell me about how critical such error messages are.

Is this a common problem of IDE connections? May I just ignore those messages, if I tried anything to get rid of them, or do they tell me "get a new hardware, the old one will fail, soon"? Will my data be read/written without mistakes, even with those errors?

Its interesting, that I only get those messages using the Slackware install CD, which has many kernel modules built into the kernel.

With the "slimmed down" kernel of slackware, which even needs an initrd for ext2 root devices, I don't get this errors, so currently I only get them while installing and not while my daily work on my system...

Maybe I'll install the "huge" kernel, with the many "built in" stuff, onto my regular Slackware install, tomorrow, to see if this will cause those errors.

Thank you *very* much for any help and information!

Yours

Manuel