Re: [ck] Re: Linus 2.6.23-rc1

Martin Steigerwald wrote:
The current kernel development process tries to pretend that there is no human involvement. Which is plain inaccurate: It is *all* human involvement, without a human not a single bit of kernel code would change.

IMHO, the above statements are all plain conjectures. How could you assert that the kernel development process is without human development?

If you've followed the list for a while, you'd realize that the list is very human. The fact that flames fly and abound, and the fact that individual persons tend to be very strong with respect to their opinions indicate that there is a rather high level of human dealings that happen on the list.

And I think you are digressing from the main issue, which is the empirical comparison of SD vs. CFS and to determine which is best. The root of all the scheduler fuss was the emotional reaction of SD's author on why his scheduler began to be compared with CFS.

We obviously all saw how the particular authors tried to address the issues. Ingo tried to address all concerns while Con simply ranted about his scheduler being better. If this is what you think about being a bit more human, then I think that this has no place in the lkml.

We've all heard the "show me the numbers" argument, and as far as I can see, CFS now fairs much better than SD.

That's the issue. The best one will emerge to be at the top. From several months of tests and improvements, it seems CFS is emerging to be the better scheduler.

Best Regards,

Carlo

--
Carlo Florendo
Softare Engineer/Network Co-Administrator

--
The Astra Group of Companies
5-3-11 Sekido, Tama City