Re: [linux-usb-devel] usb-storage autosuspend bug?

On Fri, 27 Jul 2007, Alan Stern wrote:

> I don't think it's a refcounting problem.  My guess is that the
> underlying cause is the bug in your urb->status removal patch for
> usb_start_wait_urb() -- the one I fixed here:
>
> http://marc.info/?l=linux-usb-devel&m=118531582013355&w=2
>
> Of course, my guess could be wrong.  I haven't tried to recreate
> Linus's bug with that patch reverted.  But with the patch present I was
> not able to duplicate the bug.

I finally got around to testing this, and while I still have problems with
that reader, I can't reproduce the oops with that patch in place either.

Of course, I only ever saw the oops once, so I really don't know how
reproducible it was. Maybe you have to remove the USB reader at _just_ the
right moment. But I did get

	usb 2-6: reset high speed USB device using ehci_hcd and address 4
	usb 2-6: USB disconnect, address 4
	sd 6:0:0:1: [sdc] Result: hostbyte=0x07 driverbyte=0x00
	end_request: I/O error, dev sdc, sector 1999855
	scsi 6:0:0:1: rejecting I/O to dead device

so the testing was done with the kind of behaviour that resulted in an
oops and a dead khubd last time around.

So I guess I'll ack the patch for whatever that is worth.

Over to you, Greg..

		Linus