Re: [linux-pm] Power Management framework proposal

sorry for the delay in responding

On Wed, 25 Jul 2007, Jerome Glisse wrote:
[email protected] wrote:
 On Wed, 25 Jul 2007, Jerome Glisse wrote:

>  On 7/24/07, [email protected] <[email protected]> wrote:
> > > For instance on graphics card you could do the following (maybe > > more):
> > >   -change GPU clock
> > >   -change memory clock
> > >   -disable part of engine
> > >   -disable unit
> > > i truly don't think you can make a common interface for all this, > > more
> > >   over there might be constraint on how you can change things (GPU &
> > >   memory clock might need to follow a given ratio). So you definitely
> > >   need knowledge in the user space program to handle this.
> >   offer as options. yes this could be a lengthy list, so what?
>  to wrong power management decision. So i believe we can't sum up
>  power management to list of mode whose attribute are power consumption
& capacity.

 it's possible (which is part of the reason I started the thread), but so
 far there hasn't been anything identified that is a really bad fit.

Tell me how i do this in your model:
GPU/VRAM memory clock change power consumption of the card and
the power consumption is often not a trivial function of both of this parameters
(i even here simplify the problem by omitting pipeline shutdown). So how with
two different separate mode list (one for GPU speed another one for VRAM speed)
can you provide consumption information while this consumption depends on the
others settings. Then if you give as a solution to make only one list you end up
with a more bigger list than previously needed (nrGPUmodes * nrVRAMmodes)
do you expect the user to go through a lengthy list to find what he wants ?
(remember that we will have to add pipeline power off, pll tweaking or many
others way of saving power on such card).

yes I expect that it would be a large list in some conditions. but one purpose of this API is to make these options able to be discovered by software. right now nothing could be done at all without driver specific knowledge. even a lengthy list can be better then that.

presenting the list to the user directly is a last resort, only for experimentation or when nothing else wants to deal with devices of that type.

with a description field (which I didn't include initially, but seems obviously needed now) it should be fairly easy to create descriptions that let the software see that there are multiple factors involved.

So by choosing this power consumption as a unit of measure you end up
in non trivial case. There is also the question of overclocking

if the driver supports overclocking then list it in the modes (nothing says that % capacity couldn't go over 100% for example)

, and other points already identified where unfortunately a global design such as your proposal does not seems to fit properly: local power decision (ethernet, wifi card, ... can power down them self is they are doing nothings but the place where you can know this is the driver)

if they power themselves down with no notice to the system they should power themselves back up with no need for the rest of the system to tell them either. so this ca either be ignored or presented as a mode between off and on that enables this behavior.

, there is also the child/parent relation, how to
estimate power usage (on some configuration one device consumption can
be marginal toward all others things while on other this same device can be
the most power hungry device)... I see all this as bad fit.

ahh, here we see a disconnect. I was not intending for the power field to be that exact. there are just too many variables. for example: even for a cpu, the power used isn't exactly tied to the clock speed and voltage, the mix of commands that the cpu is running will affect the power it eats, sometimes by a significant amount. it was intended to be an ordering factor and approximate the power used so that things could make a peroformance/power tradeoff with a good chance of makeing a reasonable choice.

it's not intended for 'make this laptop use 24w of power instead of 25w of power'

> And there is no way to design an abstraction given that all hw we will > have > to deal with are too much different and do not follow any standard > things
>  (beside ACPI there is other way to save power brightness, gpu/memory
> clock, pll, ...) so i don't see how one might give a common view of > things > which are fundamentally different in how they affect consumption (same > end
>  result with many different paths leading to it).

 so you are saying that the power management software must know the details
 of each and every driver, and if you add a new driver you must change the
 power management software before it can do anything (including allowing
 manual control of the modes)

You have to provide an ohm plug in (in an ohm world) where policy for this device will be handled and this plug in need to be designed knowing what the hw export through HAL. Yes it's pain full but you don't want to put policy in the driver and to do policy you need
knowledge on the things you deal with.

I'll have to look into what the ohm plugin does.....

ok, after a quick google search and reading the wiki, what I was proposing would potentially allow ohm to use it directly instead of having to go through HAL (there may still be a place for HAL, but some parts of it would get significantly simpler if the abstraction was available directly from the driver instead of haivng to teach a second piece of software all the nuances of the driver for it to then create an abstraction for the system to use)

 seems to me I heard similar arguments several years ago about the CPU
 speed settings, it turns out that the cpufreq interface works really well
 for them and the software that's controlling things no longer needs to
 know the details of every CPU.

 why did it work there but can't work anywhere else?

 David Lang
cpufreq is unification of processor frequency management, what you try to unify here can go from toaster (i am sure there is usb driven toaster available somewhere on earth don't ask why) to 100000$ specialized DSP card, we can save power on both on them but how, which policy to follow, and what parameters to tweak will be very different. At least i don't think you will want to driver your specialized DSP card as a toaster, personally i won't.

no you don't want to use the same driver for both, however it would be very nice to have an interfact that would let yo load the driver for yout specialized DSP card and all the opensouce software would see it and be able to manipulate it rather then having to modify the HAL, create ohm plugins, etc (for how many programs?) before they can know that the card is there.

David Lang

Oh and as a side note i would like a common interface for dealing with power but i just don't think it's possible, i might be wrong but so far i don't see in any other os offering such things. That said you might be able to factor out _some_ common things for given class of hardware (network card, usb device, graphics cards, ...).

best,
Jerome Glisse