Re: Reading a bad sector does not report failure as 'read error' but hangs PC with 'Machine Check Exception'

Probably a similar problem is described in the
linux-ide mailing list a while ago:

http://www.opensubscriber.com/message/[email protected]/6490911.html

>> Argh. I'm seeing a show stopper bug on sata_nv
here.
>> ata_exec_internal
>> is MCE-ing on the READ_NATIVE_MAX_EXT command on
>> both i386 and amd64, with
>> top of Linus' tree + this patch. :(
>
>Oddly, the command at least executes and doesn't MCE
>(but it's not at all
>happy either) if I use ATA_PROT_PIO. I wonder if
>ATA_PROT_NODATA is buggered on this sata_nv chip
>(Asus A8N-E).

At least it is a similar motherboard that is used
(however I have explicitly have the A8N-E Deluxe
edition).

I try not to repair my SATA disk for now with the
Seatools, so if there is some testing to be done, I
can run it with the bad disk.

Regards,
Hendrik