Re: Problems with reading DVD using 2.6.21.5

Manuel Reimer wrote:
Hello,

I tried to reproduce this bug by mounting/unmounting the drive several times.

It seems like this problem is caused, if the drive is at speed 0 after some time without access. In this situation, sometimes the drive seems to take a bit longer to speed up. Whenever it takes a bit longer, I get the error in dmesg and parts of the mounted disc are unreadable...

Any chance to get this debugged?

It's not entirely clear to me whether the kernel is doing any retries or not. It likely should be, but somebody more familiar with the block layer would likely have to answer whether it will be or not..

Certainly if we are already retrying and the drive keeps saying "no seek complete" there's not much the kernel can do about it..

--
Robert Hancock      Saskatoon, SK, Canada
To email, remove "nospam" from [email protected]