Re: commit 7e92b4fc34 - x86, serial: convert legacy COM ports to platform devices - broke my serial console

On 7/27/07, Jeff Garzik <[email protected]> wrote:
> Bjorn Helgaas wrote:
> > And couldn't we use udev to associate a fixed name with a MAC
> > address?  Then the user could use the same persistent name,
> > regardless of the order in which the driver found the devices.
>

> I don't know about udev, but people are definitely using fixed names
> based on MAC address for ethernet devices already:  nameif(8) and
> /etc/mactab, iftab(5) and ifrename(8).

That's all obsolete with udev, it creates persistent name entries on
first device discovery, and keeps them forever.
You can edit the automatically created/updated udev rules, if you want
different names, but by default there is no intervention needed to
have stable network device names out of the box, regardless of any
kernel module loading/linking order or whatever.

Kay