Re: [patch] x86, serial: always probe for legacy COM ports

Bjorn Helgaas wrote:
On Friday 27 July 2007 12:05:51 pm Jeff Garzik wrote:
This is still incomplete, as repeatedly stated.  Here is the email, again.

OK, uncle!  I'll work on your helpful advice (thanks for that), but
it feels too risky for this stage of 2.6.23.  Maybe I can come up with
something for a future release.

The changeset in the kernel is too risky _without_ the changes I described.

Hence the repeated use of the word "incomplete."

* The patch has transition issues, when you shuffle users from one device driver to another. Existing change should not be deployed without ensuring breakage is unlikely.

* The new driver is missing module unload support. Existing change should not be deployed without this.

* DOCUMENT the user visible changes. Existing change should not be deployed without this.

	Jeff