Re: sk98lin for 2.6.23-rc1

On Thu, Jul 26, 2007 at 11:16:36AM -0400, Kyle Rose wrote:
> >From http://www.krose.org/~krose/computing.html:
>
> Since the sky2 driver continues to suck ass (which is a technical
> description for "it hangs all the time under load, at least on my
> hardware" :-) ), I've fixed the sk98lin driver to compile for
> linux-2.6.23-rc1. Those who continue to have problems with sky2 can
> still use 2.6.23-rc1, simply by doing the following:
> Personally, I'd like to see sk98lin remain in the kernel proper until
> sky2 goes at least 6 months without reported problems.  The fact that I
> am not the only one still seeing issues is a clear indication that sky2
> (even with the recent patches in 2.6.23-rc1) is not yet ready to replace
> sk98lin.

This sounds good in theory.

The practical problem with this approach is that there are always many
people who use the old driver when the new driver doesn't work for them
instead of reporting their problems with the new driver.

For these people a new driver will often suck when the old driver gets
removed, but after the removal of the old driver they are finally forced
to report their bugs resulting in a better new driver for everyone.

The sky2 driver is since nearly 2 years in the kernel and Stephen is
usually quite good at handling bugs.

> Kyle

cu
Adrian