Re: [patch] add kdump_after_notifier

On Thu, Jul 26, 2007 at 05:47:18PM +0200, Bernhard Walle wrote:
> * Vivek Goyal <[email protected]> [2007-07-26 17:44]:
> > >
> > > Of course, but that's why the patch doesn't change this by default but
> > > gives the user the choice.
> > >

> > What value will distro set it to by default?
>
> 0.
>
> > Can we be more specific in terms of functionality and code that exactly
> > what we are trying to do after panic?
>
> Well, KDB, but now everybody answers with “not mainline -- doesn't
> count”.

That's true. Its not mainline. We had similar discussion in the past
also. I think we should allow only audited code to be run after panic().
Leaving it open to modules or unaudited code makes this solution
something like LKCD where whole lot of code used to run after the crash,
hence was unreliable.

If KDB goes mainline, then I think it is not a bad idea to call debugger
first (if it is enabled) and then one can trigger crash dump from inside
the debugger.

Thanks
Vivek