Re: commit 7e92b4fc34 - x86, serial: convert legacy COM ports to platform devices - broke my serial console

On 7/25/07, Yinghai Lu <[email protected]> wrote:
On 7/25/07, Bjorn Helgaas <[email protected]> wrote:
> On Wednesday 25 July 2007 07:32:53 am Sébastien Dugué wrote:
> > On Wed, 25 Jul 2007 07:16:44 -0600 Bjorn Helgaas <[email protected]> wrote:
> >
> > > The _DDN is a "DOS device name", and the _UID is a "logical device ID
> > > that does not change across reboots."  Both are optional, and PNPACPI
> > > ignores them.  But maybe we could change PNPACPI to sort by them if
> > > they are present.  I'll think about this a bit.
> >
> >   That would be nice, but I wish you good luck with all those
> > crappy BIOSes out there.
>
> Yeah, it's an ugly world we live in.  Would you be able to try the
> attached patch just for testing?  It should sort devices with the
> same _HID by their _UID.  It doesn't have any effect on my systems,
> because my devices are already ordered by _UID by default.  But I
> think it should switch your COM1/COM2 ports back to the order you
> expect.
>
> Yinghai, you mentioned the same issue on boxes with multiple root
> bridges.  Any chance you could try this out there as well?

it doesn't solve pci_root_bus reverse problem.

is that too late for PNP0A03?

I wonder if we need to modify acpi_device_register to sort them.

local hack for pci_root reverse problem would be

or in acpi_pci_register_driver, sort the acpi_pci_roots before using it.

YH