Re: 2.6.22-git17 boot failure

Am 23.07.2007 22:32 schrieb Jeremy Fitzhardinge:
> How much of this is modules?  Is the initrd probing for scsi/sata?
> Maybe the the vdso change is having an effect.

Pretty much all of it is modules. The base system is openSUSE 10.2, and
SuSE has a long habit of building everything as modules and putting the
drivers needed for accessing the root filesystem into an initrd. I have
fought it for a while but nowadays I'm playing along.

So yes, all of ahci, pata_marvell, aic7xxx, jbd, dm_mod, ext3 are in
fact modules in initrd. Would it help to try a kernel with some or all
of these built in?

> Ooh, wait.  Do you have an old version of the Xen patches in place,
> perhaps?

In which place? I installed and successfully ran the Xen packages that
came with openSUSE 10.2, so there is a 2.6.18 kernel with SuSE's Xen
patches on the machine. But that shouldn't have any influence on the
kernel.org kernels I build myself, should it?

>  Does drivers/block/Makefile have:
>
> obj-$(CONFIG_XEN_BLKDEV_FRONTEND)	+= xen-blkfront.o
>
> (vs := xen-blkfront.o)

It has the "+=" variant.

> Could you do a before and after booting with initcall_debug=1?

"Before" and "after" meaning with CONFIG_XEN=n and CONFIG_XEN=y, I
suppose. The resulting logs are a bit biggish, so I have put them on
http://www.phnxsoft.com/~ts/linux/ for download. Let me know if you
prefer having them mailed.

HTH
T.

--
Tilman Schmidt                          E-Mail: [email protected]
Bonn, Germany