Re: [linux-pm] Re: Hibernation considerations

On Mon, 23 Jul 2007, Oliver Neukum wrote:

Am Montag 23 Juli 2007 schrieb Miklos Szeredi:
The reason is that we want them to "park" in safe places, ie. where there
are no locks held etc.  Thus, these safe places need to be chosen somehow
and since they are not marked throughout the code, we choose the obvious
one. :-)

Why shouldn't locks be held?

No locks which are required for suspend must be held, sure.  But
otherwise holding locks doesn't matter at all.

If you can provide a way to tell them apart, this would work.

can you just tell the driver to try and suspend and if it reports back that it fails back out of the suspend? or will the driver deadlock instead of reporting a failure if a lock is held.

David Lang