Re: [BUG] firewire: mass-storage i/o-problems

Manuel Lauss wrote:
> I too experience these bugs with the new fw stack; this time with a TI
> OHCI-1394a combo chip in 2 different laptops and a Via 1394 pci addon card.
> The target is a an external hd enclosure with an Oxford Semi chip.

Thanks for the info.  Then there is definitely a driver problem.  It is
essential that I (and Kristian) find a way to reproduce it.

I have 4 test PCs but use only one of them regularly.  Testing takes
time...  So far I did almost all high-volume tests on Core 2 Duo/ i945,
kernel compiled for 32bit SMP Preempt.  I have 6 different FireWire
cards which I could test in it (right now at most 3 at once; usually I
only test 1 at once).  Sometimes I use a Core 2 Duo/ i945, 64bit SMP
Preempt, with only one card which I can't swap.  Very rarely I test an
Athlon/ KM266, kernel compiled for UP non-preempt.  I've also got an
ancient Pentium MMX notebook on which I have yet to install a new distro
before I can test it reliably.

According to Andreas' report, I suppose I should do high-volume tests on
the Athlon now.

On my main machine, I only saw very rare and recoverable "status write
for unknown orb" errors (one during many hours of continuous I/O).  I
have 10 or so different SBP-2 devices but only test few of them
regularly.  They all work for me, except for 100% login failures on an
old CD-R/W and fw-sbp2's inability to access the 2nd logical unit of the
one dual-LU device of mine.  (Multi LU capability should be added soon.)

I always only test vanilla kernels (with ieee1394/firewire patches).  I
wanted to start testing -rt kernels because they are known to make bugs
of the old ieee1394 drivers more visible, but simply didn't find the
time to do such tests yet.
--
Stefan Richter