dma hardware underrun

Hi all,

I'm currently experiencing a tough DMA underrun problem.

The system is like:

                 global bus
data-compressor ------||------//---- memory
IDE-PCI harddisk -----||
data-decompressor ----||
data-consumer --------||

1. harddisk has the compressed data, read to compressed buffer by DMA1;
2. data-decompressor gets data from compressed buffer by DMA2, and puts
decompressed data to decompressed buffers in ISR;
3. data-consumer eats the decompressed data at an uncompromisable speed;

The data-consumer encounters DMA underrun...

My debugging result shows the underrun goes away if I put 2 printf's in the
harddisk ISR. The printf is at milli-seconds whereas the duration of the
original ISR is at lower magnitude. In addition, I find a SATA-PCI harddisk
does not have the underrun problem. IDE-PCI device gets the trouble.

In addition, all interrupts are at the same priority and ISR's can not be
preempted by others.

So, do you have any idea about where the root cause can be hiding? Or what
do you think of adding printf's in ISR? (performance? incurring other
problems by disabling interrupt too long?)

Thanks!!

-treul