Re: [DRIVER SUBMISSION] DRBD wants to go mainline

On Sun, Jul 22, 2007 at 07:52:36AM +0200, Jens Axboe wrote:
> On Sun, Jul 22 2007, Andi Kleen wrote:
> > Lars Ellenberg <[email protected]> writes:
> > >
> > > Jens, Andrew, anyone: please review,
> > > and give me advice how to proceed from here.
> >
> > The standard procedure would be to post all the source code in logical
> > pieces on the list for review. Then iterate until all comments are
> > addressed.
>
> Yep, cleanup the style issues (that make sense) from checkpatch and then
> psot as a series of patches that can be reviewed. Linking to a git tree
> wont get you very far.

it got me far enough, for the first try, anyways :-)
I did not spam the lkml with patches, and still got some very useful
advice (no idea how I could overlook the checkpatch.pl complaints).

If each patch of a series needs to compile and work,
there will probably only one 17kB patch...
it is difficult to split one module into a series of patches.
Or am I missing something?

may I bother you again to comment on this, please:

I am now down to
 5 CHECK: memory barrier without comment
    these are directly connected with our homegrown kernel thread stuff.
    will vanish as soon as we convert to kthread.h API.

 4 CHECK: spinlock_t definition without comment
 3 CHECK: Use #include <linux/uaccess.h> instead of <asm/uaccess.h>
 3 CHECK: if this code is redundant consider removing it
 2 CHECK: Use #include <linux/types.h> instead of <asm/types.h>
    need to check those, still.

72 ERROR: braces {} are not necessary for single statement blocks
    one branch needs them, the othe does not.
    what now? CodingStyle and checkpatch.pl disagree.

13 ERROR: no space between function name and open parenthesis '('
    this is about our ERR_IF() macro...
    suggestions, anyone?
    do need I to explicitly write these out?

 8 ERROR: Macros with multiple statements should be enclosed in a do - while loop
 1 ERROR: Macros with complex values should be enclosed in parenthesis
    these are "netlink packet definition language" in drbd_nl.h,
    which is sort of clean, and preprocessor magic in drbd_nl.c.
    suggestions how to handle this cleanly,
    without making it more ugly?
    autogenerate code by other means?
    write it out by hand, and lose the nice and clean drbd_nl.h?

 1 ERROR: Don't use kernel_thread(): see Documentation/feature-removal-schedule.txt
    yes. working on that.
    will take some days, though.

 1 ERROR: Missing Signed-off-by: line(s)

94 WARNING: declaring multiple variables together should be avoided
    int snr, enr;
    does this really need to become two lines?

33 WARNING: line over 80 characters
    hmmm. get more ugly...
    probably need some helper functions and temp variables?

 4 WARNING: multiple assignments should be avoided
    x = y = 0;
    is sometimes a convenient initialization.
    you don't like it?

--
: Lars Ellenberg                            Tel +43-1-8178292-0  :
__