Re: Documentation for sysfs, hotplug, and firmware loading.

On Friday 20 July 2007 4:09:36 am Greg KH wrote:
> On Fri, Jul 20, 2007 at 09:54:01AM +0200, Cornelia Huck wrote:

> > > Here's the rule:
> > > 	If the SUBSYSTEM is "block", it's a block device.  Otherwise
> > > 	it's a char device.
> >
> > That's actually quite confusing to the casual reader, since:
> > > But also realize that the majority of events you will get have nothing
> > > to do with device nodes.  I think you are forgetting this fact.
> >
> > So the rule should be:
> > 	If the SUBSYSTEM is "block" (implying major/minor are provided),
> > 	it's a block device.
> > 	If the SUBSYSTEM is not "block", and major/minor are provided,
> > 	it's a char device.
> > 	If major/minor are not provided, the event/device is not
> > 	relevant to device node creation.
>
> Yes, that is much more descriptive, thanks.

agreed, thanks.

I'll try to post an updated version of my hotplug documentation later tonight.
(Just a _touch_ jetlagged at the moment, though.  It may only be 9:47
california time, but it's 11:47 on the east cost.  I think.)

> greg k-h

Rob
  - Ken Thompson.