Re: Documentation for sysfs, hotplug, and firmware loading.

On Fri, Jul 20, 2007 at 08:21:39PM -0400, Rob Landley wrote:
> I'm not trying to document /sys/devices.  I'm trying to document hotplug,
> populating /dev, and things like firmware loading that fall out of that.
> This requires use of sysfs, and I'm only trying to document as much of sysfs
> as you need to do that.

Like I stated before, you do not need to even have sysfs mounted to have
a dynamic /dev.

And why do you need to document populating /dev dynamically?  udev
already solves this problem for you, it's not like people are going off
and reinventing udev for their own enjoyment would not at least look at
how it solves this problem first.

To do otherwise would be foolish :)

Firmware loading is fine to document if you wish to do so.  But again,
why?  We already have multiple userspace programs that provide this
feature for them.  Perhaps you want to document how to add firmware to a
system in order for these different programs to pick them up?

Or perhaps you want to document how to add this kind of functionality to
your kernel driver so that it can handle firmware loading by using the
firmware interface that the kernel provides?

If you just want to document the hotplug/uevent api, then do just that.
However I think you are overreaching with your scope here and getting
mighty confused in the process.

thanks,

greg k-h