Re: [linux-pm] Re: Hibernation considerations

On Friday, 20 July 2007 18:56, Milton Miller wrote:
> On Jul 20, 2007, at 6:17 AM, Rafael J. Wysocki wrote:

> >> I didn't realize this was a discussion item. I thought the options
> >> were
> >> clear, for some filesystem types you can mount them read-only, but for
> >> ext3 (and possilby other less common ones) you just plain cannot touch
> >> them.
> >
> > That's correct.  And since you cannot thouch ext3, you need either to
> > assume
> > that you won't touch filesystems at all, or to have a code to
> > recognize the
> > filesystem you're dealing with.
>
> Or add a small bit of infrastructure that errors writes at make_request
> if you don't have a magic "i am a direct block device write from
> userspace" flag on the bio.
>
> The hibernate may fail, but you don't corrupt the media.
>
> If you don't get the image out, resume back to the "this is resume"
> instead of the power-down path.

Well, I don't think that is much prettier than the freezer ...

> >> we all agree that tasks cannot run during the suspend-to-ram state,
> >> but
> >> the disagreement is over what this means
> >>
> >> at one extreme it could mean that you would need the full freezer as
> >> per
> >> the current suspend projects.
> >>
> >> at the other extreme it could mean that all that's needed is to
> >> invoke the
> >> suspend-to-ram routine before anything else on the suspended kernel
> >> on the
> >> return from the save and restore kernel.
> >>
> >> we just need to figure out which it is (or if it's somewhere in
> >> between).
> >
> > Well, I think that the "invoke the suspend-to-ram routine before
> > anything else
> > on the suspended kernel" thing won't be easy to implement in practice.
>
> Why?  You don't expect suspend-to-ram in drivers to be implemented?  We
> need more speperation of the quiesce drivers from power-down devices?

No.  I'm saying that when you go back from the image-saving kernel to the
hibernated kernel, you need to make sure that no task will cause any
filesystem's on-disk state to be actually updated.  If you can't make such
a guarantee, you just can't do that.

With the current state of the drivers, it's not doable without the freezer.

> Note that we are just talking about "suspend devices and put their
> state in ram", not actually invoking the platform to suspend to ram.
>
> And I'm actually saying we free memory and maybe allocate disk blocks
> for the save before we suspend (see below).

Well, I've already written about the OOM killer ...

> >> not if the filesystem is mounted read-only (except on ext3)
> >
> > Well, if the filesystem in question is a journaling one and the
> > hibernated
> > kernel has mounted this fs read-write, this seems to be tricky anyway.
>
> Yes.  I would argue writing to existing blocks of a file (not thorugh
> the filesystem, just getting their blocsk from the file system) should
> be safe, but it occurs to me that may not be the case if your fsck and
> bmap move data blocks from some update log to the file system.
>
> But we know the (maximum) image size.   So we could allocate the blocks
> in the first image before suspending the drivers and memory
> allocations, and supplying the list to the second kernel.  We could
> even write to the first block with a signature "suspend to here", or
> even the whole block list to the beginning (it will have to be saved to
> disk for restore anyways).

The writing is easy (we're doing that already, just fine).

The tricky part would be if the image-saving kernel tried to mount a journaling
filesystem in use by the hibernated kernel.

> If we use the "write to these blocks" then this is as easy as writing
> to a file in a mounted filesystem.

> >> I disagree a little bit.
> >>
> >> first off, only the suspending kernel can know what can be freed and
> >> what
> >> is needed to do so (remember this is kernel internals, it can change
> >> from
> >> patch to patch, let alone version to version)
> >>
> >> second, if you have a lot of memory to free, and you can't just throw
> >> away
> >> caches to do so, you don't know what is going to be involved in
> >> freeing
> >> the memory, it's very possilbe that it is going to involve userspace,
> >> so
> >> you can't freeze any significant portion of the system, so you can't
> >> eliminate all chance of races
> >>
> >> what you can do is
> >>
> >> 1. try to free stuff
> >> 2. stop the system and account for memory, is enough free
> >> if not goto 1
> >>
> >> if userspace is dirtying memory fast enough, or is just useing enough
> >> memory that you can't meet your limit you just won't be able to
> >> suspend.
> >
> > This means unreliable hibernation for some workloads.  While I agree
> > that
> > shouldn't be a problem in a common case, there are users who will
> > complain. ;-)
>
> With my allocate memory as a task and don't save that task's memory
> approach, we can get to this point while userspace is running.   It
> could be controllled by userspace, or even be userspace
> (sys_do_not_save_me() waits for resume, and dies as the kernel
> resumes).
>
> >> but under any other conditions you will eventually get enough memory
> >> free.
> >>
> >> so try several times and if you still fail tell the user they have too
> >> much stuff running and they need to kill something.
> >
> > Well, with the freezer that's much simpler (and more reliable, I'd
> > say): you
> > freeze tasks and _then_ you shrink memory.
>
> It means you are committed to suspend before you try to shrink memory.
> What happens when the user requested a smaller image that memory in
> use?

You mean the user wanted the image to be so small that we can't create it?
Well, we don't. :-)

In fact, we cheat a little.  Namely, we check if there's enough storage space
and if so, we create an image that's bigger than requested by the user.

> >> this doesn't make sense, 20% of 2G is 400M, if you can't make a
> >> kernel and
> >> userspace that can run in 400M you have a serious problem.
> >
> > I was talking about the _speed_ of writing and reading.
>
> Yes.  As I said, adding a compress as we copy the pages into the saving
> kernel for writeout should be easy.

Easy or not, that's one more thing you should remember about.

> >> even if you wanted to save 99% of RAM on a 2G system, you have 20M of
> >> ram
> >> to play with, which should easily be enough.
> >>
> >> remember, linux runs on really small systems as well, and while you do
> >> have to load some drivers for the big system, there are a lot of other
> >> things that aren't needed.

> >> becouse you say that the current methods won't work without ACPI
> >> support.
> >
> > I didn't say that.  [Or if I did, please point me to this message.]
> >
> > Anyway, this wouldn't be true even if I did.
> >
> > What I've been trying to say from the very beginning is that the
> > current
> > frameworks _support_ hibernation a la ACPI S4 (although that's not
> > exactly
> > ACPI S4) and if we are going to introduce a new framework, then it
> > should
> > be designed to _support_ ACPI S4 fully _from_ _the_ _start_.
> >
> > This DOESN'T mean that the non-ACPI hibernation should be unsupported
> > and
> > it DOESN"T mean that the non-ACPI hibernation is not supported
> > currently.
> > IT IS SUPPORTED.
> >

> As I said, I see kjump as a way to solve the "ok i am at a save point,
> now how do I write this image to media without allowing any other io".
> As you know by now, my solution for ACPI support is after the image is
> written we go back to the kernel that started the suspend and it puts
> the machine in S4.
>
> If this works, we get down to 1 hibernate implementation in the kernel
> :-).

For now, we have one implementation in the kernel (swsusp) that may be used
with some external (user space) tools (and is called uswsusp in that case,
quite confusingly), the other complete one that's waiting for merging with
the first one, at least in part (tuxonice, formerly known as suspend2), and
your proposed _third_ one (in a number of variants, perhaps).

I _think_ we can get down to one, but not by creating something entirely new
from the scratch.  If you can think of introducing the kexec-based approach
in such a way that it uses _as_ _much_ _of_ _existing_ _code_ _as_ _reasonably_
_possible_, then the result might be a candidate for the one common
implementation, as far as I'm concerned.

Greetings,
Rafael

--
"Premature optimization is the root of all evil." - Donald Knuth