Re: [patch 1/3] m68k/mac: Make mac_hid_mouse_emulate_buttons() declaration visible

On 7/20/07, Adrian Bunk <[email protected]> wrote:
On Fri, Jul 20, 2007 at 01:47:36PM -0400, Dmitry Torokhov wrote:
> Hi Geert,
>
> On 7/20/07, Geert Uytterhoeven <[email protected]> wrote:
>> From: Geert Uytterhoeven <[email protected]>
>>
>> m68k/mac: Make mac_hid_mouse_emulate_buttons() declaration visible
>>
>> drivers/char/keyboard.c: In function 'kbd_keycode':
>> drivers/char/keyboard.c:1142: error: implicit declaration of function
>> 'mac_hid_mouse_emulate_buttons'
>>
>> The forward declaration of mac_hid_mouse_emulate_buttons() is not visible
>> on
>> m68k because it's hidden in the middle of a big #ifdef block.
>>
>> Move it to <linux/hid.h>, correct the type of the second parameter, and
>> include <linux/hid.h> where needed.
>
> linux/hid.h contains definitions needed for drivers speaking HID
> protocol, I don't think we want to put quirks for legacy keyboard
> driver there. I'd just move the #ifdef within drivers/char/keyboard.c
> for now.

If you only move it you will keep the bug of the wrong second parameter.

But if you move it to any header file gcc is able to figure out such
errors itself instead of them being nasty runtime errors.

Such prototypes in C files are really bad since (like in this case) they
prevent the finding of bugs. It doesn't matter which header file you put
the prototype into (it can even be a new one), but it belongs into a
header file.

I am OK with adding a new header file. I was just saying that placing
that declaration in linux/hid.h makes about the same sense as putting
it into linux/scsi.h

--
Dmitry