Re: [linux-pm] Re: Hibernation considerations

On Fri, 20 Jul 2007, Huang, Ying wrote:

On Fri, 2007-07-20 at 09:01 -0500, Milton Miller wrote:
Simplifying kjump: the proposal for v3.

The current code is trying to use crash dump area as a safe, reserved
area to run the second kernel.   However, that means that the kernel
has to be linked specially to run in the reserved area.   I think we
need to finish separating kexec_jump from the other code paths.

(1) add a new command line argument that specifies the kexec_jump
target area (or just size?)

(2) add a kjump flag to the flags parameter, used by kexec_load.   When
additional control pages are allocated to (a) save this kenrel's use of
the kexec_jump target area (b) save the backed up region that is used
by all kernels like crash dump, and (c) space for invoking
relocate_new_kernel that will get its args from the execution entry
point and will restore the kernel then call resume and suspend.

Backuping target memory before kexec and restoring it after kexec is
planed feature for kexec jump. But I will work on image writing/reading
first.

if we can get a list of what memory is safe to backup/restore then the reading/writing of the image should be able to be done in userspace.

(3) replace jump_huf_pfn with two command line addresses that specify
the (a) return point for after resume, and (b) the return point for
after image save.   Actually these can be done in userspace; the second
restore kernel can just specify the null copy list and the entry points
supplied by the suspended kernel.  To do resume we also need (c) where
to store resume address for the save kernel.

There is many free spaces in jump_buf_pfn page now. I think passing the
needed information through jump_buf_pfn is more convenient than through
kernel command line. That is, the jump_buf_pfn can be seen as a meta
interface, which is passed to kexeced kernel though command line, while
other information can be passed though jmp_buf_pfn.

The seperation should be whoever builds a scatter copy list builds the
inverse list.  This is why I propose simple jump entry points.  I
expect just a few instructions to establish arguments for the call to
the exstinging relocate_new_kernel code.

If the "scatter copy" is replaced by "scatter swap", we need not the
inverse list, and the state of kexeced kernel can be backuped too. There
are "scatter copy" support in normal kexec implementation in
"relocate_kernel".

what do you mean by "scatter swap"?

David Lang