Re: [linux-pm] Re: Hibernation considerations

On Thu, 19 Jul 2007, Rafael J. Wysocki wrote:

On Thursday, 19 July 2007 17:46, Milton Miller wrote:

The currently identified problems under discussion include:
(1) how to interact with acpi to enter into S4.
(2) how to identify which memory needs to be saved
(3) how to communicate where to save the memory
(4) what state should devices be in when switching kernels
(5) the complicated setup required with the current patch
(6) what code restores the image

(7) how to avoid corrupting filesystems mounted by the hibernated kernel

I didn't realize this was a discussion item. I thought the options were clear, for some filesystem types you can mount them read-only, but for ext3 (and possilby other less common ones) you just plain cannot touch them.

(2) Upon start-up (by which I mean what happens after the user has
pressed
    the power button or something like that):
  * check if the image is present (and valid) _without_ enabling ACPI
(we don't
    do that now, but I see no reason for not doing it in the new
framework)
  * if the image is present (and valid), load it
  * turn on ACPI (unless already turned on by the BIOS, that is)
  * execute the _BFS global control method
  * execute the _WAK global control method
  * continue
  Here, the first two things should be done by the image-loading
kernel, but
  the remaining operations have to be carried out by the restored
kernel.

Here I agree.

Here is my proposal.  Instead of trying to both write the image and
suspend, I think this all becomes much simpler if we limit the scope
the work of the second kernel.  Its purpose is to write the image.
After that its done.   The platform can be powered off if we are going
to S5.   However, to support suspend to ram and suspend to disk, we
return to the first kernel.

We can't do this unless we have frozen tasks (this way, or another) before
carrying out the entire operation.  In that case, however, the kexec-based
approach would have only one advantage over the current one.  Namely, it
would allow us to create bigger images.

we all agree that tasks cannot run during the suspend-to-ram state, but the disagreement is over what this means

at one extreme it could mean that you would need the full freezer as per the current suspend projects.

at the other extreme it could mean that all that's needed is to invoke the suspend-to-ram routine before anything else on the suspended kernel on the return from the save and restore kernel.

we just need to figure out which it is (or if it's somewhere in between).

It's selectively stopping kernel threads, which is just about right.
If you
that _this_ is a main problem with the freezer, then think again.

with kexec you don't need to let any portion of the origional kernel
or
userspace operate so you don't have a problem.

In fact, the main problem with the freezer is that it is a
coarse-grained
solution.  Therefore, what I believe we should do is to evolve in the
directoin
of more fine-grained solutions and gradually phase out the freezer.

The kexec-based approach is an attempt to replace one coarse-grained
solution
(the freezer) with even more coarse-grained solution (stopping the
entire
kernel with everything), which IMO doesn't address the main problem.

I think this addresses teh problem.   Its probably a bit harder than
powermac because we have to fully quiesce devices; we can't cheat by
leaving interrupts off.   But once the drivers save the state of their
devices and stop their queues, it should be easy to audit the paths to
powerdown devices and call the platform suspend and ram wakeup paths.

Going back to the requirements document that started this thread: