Re: Linux, tcpdump and vlan

Patrick McHardy wrote:
Ben Greear wrote:
Patrick McHardy wrote:

Put another way, once you enable VLAN header stripping, you
won't see the headers for *any* VLAN, not only for those you're
actually running locally. This is also a problem for devices
like macvlan, where it would be desirable to make use of
hardware VLAN accerlation. I was thinking about storing the
information somewhere in the packets meta-data on both RX and
TX paths, that would also allow tcpdump to properly display
packets.
MAC-VLAN could gather this information based on it's parent
device (ie, if parent-dev has VID 7, then add VID 7 to the meta
data.  There would be no need for any driver changes I think.

Its actually more a problem on the RX path. VLAN acceleration
works (at least with some drivers) by enabling HW header striping
and using the VLAN ID for an immediate lookup in the VLAN devices
configured on that device. So if the VLAN is not configured on the
real device but something like macvlan, it will get the packet
without a header and without any indication that this was a VLAN
packet. This is also what causes the tcpdump problem.
This reminded me of something:

If we are using VLAN HW-Accel, then the skb hits the mac-vlan check with the skb->dev == vlan-device.
So, in this case, we can put mac-vlans on top of 802.1Q VLANs.

But, if we are not using VLAN hw-accel, the skb hits the mac-vlan check with skb->dev == ethernet-device. In this case, we could NOT have the mac-vlan on top of the 802.1Q VLAN, but we can have a MAC-VLAN on the raw ethernet and we could add 802.1Q vlans on top of the mac-vlan. This is because the .1Q vlan will only be found once we go into the protocol handler logic, which is necessarily after the
MAC-VLAN check logic.

Unless I am confused in my conjecture above, this is likely to confuse others who try to mix and
match MAC-VLANs and 802.1Q VLANs.

I have planned to look into this when I find some time.
Your suggestion of disabling VLAN acceleration in promiscous
mode sounds like a reasonable solution until then ..
I think a better method would be to allow disabling VLAN HW accel for a
NIC with
ethtool.  Then, the packets will be received by the software stack with
the vlan
header intact.  Something sniffing on the physical dev will
automatically get the
VLAN header.

That would also be fine. But considering that the TX path is
problematic too, a clean solution for all of this would be
to store the VLAN id in the skb. And we do have some holes
to plug currently :)

With VLAN HW accel disabled, the skb will have the VLAN header in it by the time it hits the ethX interface, so sniffing there should still show the header. It won't show
when sniffing the VLAN device, but I think that is OK.

Thanks,
Ben

--
Ben Greear <[email protected]> Candela Technologies Inc http://www.candelatech.com