Re: Patches for REALLY TINY 386 kernels

Andi Kleen wrote:
> I was waiting for someone to make that "point" ...
>
>> Every byte you can shave off the compressed kernel image is another
>> byte you can use for userspace on your FLASH.
>
> Now let's see if that 1MB 386 contains any flash at all. Guesses?

CPUID is hardly something you want to give up for modern embedded stuff.
 I haven't seen any new embedded stuff using anything less than a 586,
and even those are disappearing quickly in favor of Geode and VIA.

However, compressed size reductions as an abstract thing is useful for
this market.  Just not these particular ones.  The first thing to get
there is probably an LZMA-based compressor instead of gzip.

	-hpa