Re: VESAFB CUSTOM RESOLUTION

Antonino A. Daplas wrote:
> On Wed, 2007-07-18 at 16:45 +0300, Al Boldi wrote:
> > Antonino A. Daplas wrote:

> > > vesafb can only use modes included by the vendor in the card's BIOS.
> > > The mode table contains standard modes defined by VESA, and perhaps
> > > vendor-defined custom modes. However, the mode ID of custom modes
> > > varies from card to card, so you have to 'probe' the BIOS first for
> > > the list of modes and their associated ID.  X + the 'vesa' driver does
> > > that probe, and so does the lrmi tool vbetest.
> > >
> > > So, one cannot just set any mode, unless that mode is already defined
> > > in the BIOS mode table. In VBE 3.0, you might be able to choose an
> > > arbitrary vertical refresh rate, but that's the best mode tuning you
> > > can do with the video BIOS.
> >
> > Thanks for a great explanation!
> >
> > Looks like this chip supports VBE 3.0, but it only locks into 60Hz
> > refresh. Here is an excerpt; full log attached.
>
> What you need to look at the X log is this particular part (this is the
> output of my card, and for the sake of brevity, I removed the
> descriptive sections):

Here are mine; I tried them all, and they always lock into 60Hz refresh.

Mode: 101 (640x480)
Mode: 112 (640x480)
Mode: 103 (800x600)
Mode: 115 (800x600)
Mode: 105 (1024x768)
Mode: 118 (1024x768)
Mode: 179 (1280x768)
Mode: 17b (1280x768)
Mode: 107 (1280x1024)
Mode: 11b (1280x1024)
Mode: 120 (1600x1200)
Mode: 122 (1600x1200)
Mode: 124 (1600x1200)
Mode: 199 (1920x1440)
Mode: 19a (1920x1440)
Mode: 19b (1920x1440)
Mode: 22e (800x480)
Mode: 230 (800x480)
Mode: 108 (80x60)
Mode: 102 (800x600)

What about the VBE 3.0 arbitrary vertical refresh rate thing?

Thanks!

--
Al