Re: [patch] CFS scheduler, -v19

Ingo Molnar wrote:
* Ian Kent <[email protected]> wrote:

ah! It passes in a low-res time source into a high-res time interface (pthread_cond_timedwait()). Could you change the time(NULL) + 1 to time(NULL) + 2, or change it to:

	gettimeofday(&wait, NULL);
	wait.tv_sec++;

does this solve the spinning?
Yes, adding in the offset within the current second appears to resolve the issue. Thanks Ingo.

i'm wondering how widespread this is. If automount is the only app doing this then _maybe_ we could get away with it by changing automount?
I don't think the change is unreasonable since I wasn't using an accurate time in the condition wait, so that's a coding mistake on my part which I will fix.

thanks Ian for taking care of this and for fixing it!

Linus, Thomas, what do you think, should we keep the time.c change? Automount is one app affected so far, and it's a borderline case: the increased (30%) CPU usage is annoying, but it does not prevent the system from working per se, and an upgrade to a fixed/enhanced automount version resolves it.

The temptation of using a really (and trivially) scalable low-resolution time-source (which is _easily_ vsyscall-able, on any platform) for DBMS use is really large, to me at least. Should i perhaps add a boot/config option that enables/disables this optimization, to allow distros finer
grained control about this? And we've also got to wait whether there's
any other app affected.
Allow it to be selected by the "features" so that admins can evaluate the implications without a reboot? That would be a convenient interface if you could provide it.

--
bill davidsen <[email protected]>
 CTO TMR Associates, Inc