Re: Documentation for sysfs, hotplug, and firmware loading.

On Tue, 2007-07-17 at 17:03 -0400, Rob Landley wrote:
> Here's some sysfs/hotplug/firmware loading documentation I wrote.  I finally
> tracked down the netlink bits to finish it up, so I can send it out to the
> world.
>
> What's wrong with it? :)

A lot. :)

> Note, I still need to actually confirm that /sbin/hotplug can be called from
> initramfs by a statically linked device to load firmware before init gets
> spawned.  It should work, and was explicitly discussed as a design goal a
> year or two back, but it might need a bugfix patch to actually, you know,
> _work_.
>
> (P.S.  I'd cc Kay Sievers on this, but he's still spam-blocking my email.
> Thanks to Kay for answer lots of questions about this at OLS, and to Fank
> Sorenson who wrote a netlink implementation of mdev back in 2005 that I dug
> up to figure out how that part works.)

hotplug and firmware loading with sysfs.

The 2.6.x Linux kernels export a device tree through sysfs, which is a
synthetic filesystem generally mounted at "/sys".  Among other things,
this filesystem tells userspace what hardware is available, so userspace tools
(such as udev or mdev) can dynamically populate a "/dev" directory with device
nodes representing the currently available hardware.

@@ It exposes the current state of kernel devices, it's not necessarily
@@ related to any hardware.

Notification when hardware is inserted or removed is provided by the
hotplug mechanism.  Linux provides two hotplug interfaces: /sbin/hotplug and
netlink.

@@ Same here, it's about kernel device creation and not hardware "insertion".

The combination of sysfs and hotplug obsoleted the older "devfs", which was
removed from the 2.6.16 kernel.

@@ Udev replaced devfs, not hotplug or sysfs.

Device nodes:
=============

Sysfs exports major and minor numbers for device nodes with which to populate
/dev via mknod(2).  These major and minor numbers are found in files named
"dev", which contain two colon separated ascii decimal numbers followed by
exactly one newline.  I.E.

  $ cat /sys/class/mem/zero/dev
  1:5

Note that the name of the directory containing a dev entry is usually the
traditional name for the device node.  (The above entry is for "/dev/zero".)

Entires for block devices are found at the following locations:

  /sys/block/*/dev
  /sys/block/*/*/dev

Entries for char devices are found at the following locations:

  /sys/bus/*/devices/*/dev
  /sys/class/*/*/dev

@@ Wrong! /sys/class/block/* will be block-devices. Please read the stuff mentioned
@@ in the document Greg has posted. You _must_ always determine the subsystem.
@@ This rule is plain wrong.

A very simple bash script to populate /dev from /sys (without addressing
ownership or permissions of the resulting /dev nodes) might look like:

  #!/bin/bash

  # Populate block devices

  for i in /sys/block/*/dev /sys/block/*/*/dev
  do
    if [ -f $i ]
    then
      MAJOR=$(sed 's/:.*//' < $i)
      MINOR=$(sed 's/.*://' < $i)
      DEVNAME=$(echo $i | sed -e 's@/dev@@' -e 's@.*/@@')
      mknod /dev/$DEVNAME b $MAJOR $MINOR
    fi
  done

  # Populate char devices

  for i in /sys/bus/*/devices/*/dev /sys/class/*/*/dev
  do
    if [ -f $i ]
    then
      MAJOR=$(sed 's/:.*//' < $i)
      MINOR=$(sed 's/.*://' < $i)
      DEVNAME=$(echo $i | sed -e 's@/dev@@' -e 's@.*/@@')
      mknod /dev/$DEVNAME c $MAJOR $MINOR
    fi
  done

@@ That will fail badly. And again, please don't confuse
@@ "class" and "char", they are not the same, and never have been.

Hotplug:
========

The hotplug mechanism asynchronously notifies userspace when hardware is
inserted, removed, or undergoes a similar significant state change.  Linux
provides two interfaces to hotplug; the kernel can spawn a usermode helper
process, or it can send a message to an existing daemon listening to a netlink
socket.

-- Usermode helper

The usermode helper hotplug mechanism spawns a new process to handle each
hotplug event.  Each such helper process belongs to the root user (UID 0) and
is a child of the init task (PID 1).  The kernel spawns one process per hotplug
event, supplying environment variables to each new process describing that
particular hotplug event.  By default the kernel spawns instances of
"/sbin/hotplug", but this default can be changed by writing a new path into
"/proc/sys/kernel/hotplug" (assuming /proc is mounted).

@@ Are you sure it's a child of init?

A simple bash script to record variables from hotplug events might look like:

  #!/bin/bash

  env >> /filename

It's possible to disable the usermode helper hotplug mechanism (by writing an
empty string into /proc/sys/kernel/hotplug), but there's little reason to
do this since a usermode helper won't be spawned if /sbin/hotplug doesn't
exist, and negative dentries will record the fact it doesn't exist after
the first lookup attempt.

@@ That negative dentries will exist, is no reason not to disable it.
@@ Almost no system is using /sbin/hotplug anymore, so I don't see the
@@ point of this sentence. If you don't need to, why run all the code
@@ and let the kernel clone a process that is know to fail?
@@ Suggesting that, just doesn't make sense.

-- Netlink

A daemon listening to the netlink socket receives a packet of data for each
hotplug event, containing the same information a usermode helper would receive
in environment variables.

The netlink packet contains a set of null terminated text lines.
Each line but the first contains a KEYWORD=VALUE pair defining a hotplug
event variable.  The first line of the netlink packet combines the $ACTION
and $DEVPATH values, separated by an @ (at sign).

Here's a C program to print hotplug nelink events to stdout:

#include <stdio.h>
#include <stdlib.h>
#include <string.h>

#include <sys/poll.h>
#include <sys/socket.h>
#include <sys/types.h>
#include <unistd.h>

#include <linux/types.h>
#include <linux/netlink.h>

void die(char *s)
{
        write(2,s,strlen(s));
        exit(1);
}

int main(int argc, char *argv[])
{
        struct sockaddr_nl nls;
        struct pollfd pfd;
        char buf[512];

        // Open hotplug event netlink socket

        memset(&nls,0,sizeof(struct sockaddr_nl));
        nls.nl_family = AF_NETLINK;
        nls.nl_pid = getpid();
        nls.nl_groups = -1;

@@ You are not supposed to listen to anything else than group 1!

        pfd.events = POLLIN;
        pfd.fd = socket(PF_NETLINK, SOCK_DGRAM, NETLINK_KOBJECT_UEVENT);
        if (pfd.fd==-1)
                die("Not root\n");

        // Listen to netlink socket

        if (bind(pfd.fd, (void *)&nls, sizeof(struct sockaddr_nl)))
                die("Bind failed\n");
        while (-1!=poll(&pfd, 1, -1)) {
                int i, len = recv(pfd.fd, buf, sizeof(buf), MSG_DONTWAIT);
                if (len == -1) //die("recv\n");

                // Print the data to stdout.
                i = 0;
                while (i<len) {
                        printf("%s\n", buf+i);
                        i += strlen(buf+i)+1;
                }
        }
        die("poll\n");

        // Dear gcc: shut up.
        return 0;
}

Hotplug event variables:
========================

Every hotplug event should provide at least the following variables:

  ACTION
    The current hotplug action: "add" to add the device...
    [QUESTION: Full list of actions?]

  DEVPATH
    Path under /sys at which this device's sysfs directory can be found.
    If $DEVPATH begins with /block/ the event refers to a block device,
    otherwise it refers to a char device.

@@ Devpathes are not defined what to start with, it's wrong to document
@@ it that way. If you don't have the event env or start from
@@ /sys/{class,bus,block,subsystem}), devices have a "subsystem" link,
@@ which is the only valid way to retrieve the "subsystem" from sysfs.

  SUBSYSTEM
    If this is "block", it's a block device.  Anything else is a char device.

The following variables are also provided for some devices:

  MAJOR and MINOR
    If these are present, a device node can be created in /dev for this device.
    Some devices (such as network cards) don't generate a /dev node.

    [QUESTION: Any way to get the default name?]

@@ The directory name is the default name.

  DRIVER
    If present, a suggested driver (module) for handling this device.  No
    relation to whether or not a driver is currently handling the device.

@@ Wrong, it's the currently bound driver, no "suggestion" at all.
@@ And don't confuse modules and drivers they are not always the same
@@ strings. Some modules have multiple drivers.

  INTERFACE and IFINDEX
    When SUBSYSTEM=net, these variables indicate the name of the interface
    and a unique integer for the interface.  (Note that "INTERFACE=eth0" could
    be paired with "IFINDEX=2" because eth0 isn't guaranteed to come before lo
    and the count doesn't start at 0.)

@@ What could be paired?

  FIRMWARE
    The system is requesting firmware for the device.  See "Firmware loading"
    below.

Injecting events into hotplug via "uevent":

Events can be injected into the hotplug mechanism through sysfs via the
"uevent" files.  Each directory in sysfs containing a "dev" file should also
contain a "uevent" file.

@@ The name of the action should be written to "uevent".
@@ Currently only "add" is supported.

Note that in newer kernel versions, "uevent" is readable.  Reading from uevent
provides the set of "extra" variables associated with this event.

Firmware loading
================

If the hotplug variable FIRMWARE is set, the kernel is requesting firmware
for a device (identified by $DEVPATH).  To provide the firmware to the kernel,
do the following:

  echo 1 > /sys/$DEVPATH/loading
  cat /path/to/$FIRMWARE > /sys/$DEVPATH/data
  echo 0 > /sys/$DEVPATH/loading

Note that "echo -1 > /sys/$DEVPATH/loading" will cancel the firmware load
and return an error to the kernel, and /sys/class/firmware/timeout contains a
timeout (in seconds) for firmware loads.

See Documentation/firmware_class for more information.

An advantage of the usermode helper hotplug mechanism is that if initramfs
contains an executable /sbin/hotplug, it can be called even before the kernel
runs init.  This allows /sbin/hotplug to supply firmware (out of initramfs) to
statically linked device drivers.  (The netlink mechanism requires a daemon to
listen to a socket, and such a daemon cannot be spawned before init runs.)

@@ There is no difference between /sbin/hotplug and netlink, this
@@ advantage simply doesn't exist. Most systems run udevd in initramfs.
@@
@@ The only advantage of /sbin/hotplug is that you run easily OOM, because
@@ of too many event running at the same time. :)

For licensing reasons, binary-only firmware should not be linked into the
kernel image, but instead placed in an externally supplied initramfs which
can be passed to the Linux kernel through the old initrd mechanism.
See Documentation/filesystems/ramfs-rootfs-initramfs.txt for details.

@@ Firmware licensing issues definitely don't belong here.

stable_api_nonsense:
====================

Note: Sysfs exports a lot of kernel internal state, and the maintainers of
sysfs do not believe that exposing information to userspace for use by
userspace programs constitues an "API" that must be "stable".  The sysfs
infrastructure is maintained by the author of

@@ You still seems to misunderstand what this all is about.
@@ It's not that we "believe" something, it's that sysfs is
@@ a construct where the location of information can move around
@@ at runtime.
@@ It's a dynamic tree of devices, and not values at a defined
@@ location. That makes it totally different from anything else.
@@ The next second, a device can be somewhere else and that
@@ is nothing you could compare to any other API, so we need
@@ different rules here. It's not about "believing in something".
@@ Again, please read the document Greg posted.

Documentation/stable_api_nonsense.txt, who seems to believe it applies to
userspace as well.  Therefore, at best only a subset of the information in
sysfs can be considered stable from version to version.

@@ Only well defined ways of retrieving information from sysfs are
@@ expected to produce predictable results. It's a dump of the kernel
@@ state and you can't read reliably it without following some rules.

The information documented here should remain stable.  Some other parts of
sysfs are documented under Documentation/API, although that directory comes
with a warning that anything documented there can go away after two years.
Any other information exported by sysfs should be considered debugging info
at best, and probably shouldn't have been exported at all since it's not a
"stable API" intended for use by actual programs.

@@ It's not debugging, but you have to reach this information
@@ in a specific way. There is not much information we don't need.
@@ But we can't just expect it to look the same, even on the same
@@ system, a second later sysfs can look differently, devices can get
@@ renamed or move around dynamically.

I'm very unhappy with this text. I think you need to rework most
this document to be useful. You really can't ignore the rules to access
the information in sysfs. You try to point things down to a static
behavior, but that isn't what sysfs is about, or what it provides.

Please try to understand the intention of the document Greg posted,
it may be wrong in the wording, but it still contains a lot of things
you will need to describe to document sysfs.

Maybe I misunderstand you, and you only want to describe how to reliably
initialize /dev from sysfs, but then please change the title of the
document and describe what the udev or HAL code is doing at coldplug time,
instead of calling it "Documentation for sysfs". And again, I already
told you that a lot of times, read the udevtrigger code, how to "get all
devices" properly, your example scripts are wrong.

Thanks,
Kay