Re: [git patches 1/2] warnings: attack valid cases spotted by warnings

On Tue, 17 Jul 2007 14:53:02 -0700
Roland Dreier <[email protected]> wrote:

> >     drivers/infiniband/hw/mthca/mthca_qp: kill uninit'd var warning
> >
> >     drivers/infiniband/hw/mthca/mthca_qp.c: In function
> >       ______mthca_tavor_post_send______:
> >     drivers/infiniband/hw/mthca/mthca_qp.c:1594: warning: ______f0______ may be used
> >       uninitialized in this function

(rofl, look at that mess: it was utterly impractical, unrealistic and
stupid for gcc to go and UTFify the compiler output.  Sigh.  LANG=C, guys).

> And I don't like using uninitialized_var() here for a similar
> reason... the functions are complex and I would prefer to avoid hiding
> future bugs that may creep in.

umm, the code *already* produces a warning.  So if you later add a
real used-uninitialised bug, you won't know about it, because everyone
was trained to ignore the warning anyway.

Best would be to find some way to restructure the code to make the warning
go away.

Meanwhile I'd say switch this to uninitialized_var() if it's that much of a
worry.