Re: Hibernation considerations

On Tuesday, 17 July 2007 17:29, [email protected] wrote:
> On Tue, 17 Jul 2007, Rafael J. Wysocki wrote:

> >> If the only problem with doing this would be lack of wakeup support
> >> then I'm all for it.  There must be a lot of people who would like
> >> their computers to hibernate with power drain as close to 0 as possible
> >> and who don't care about remote wakeup.  In fact they might even prefer
> >> not to have wakeup support, so the computer doesn't resume at
> >> unexpected times.
> >
> > I'm afraid of one thing, though.
> >
> > If we create a framework without ACPI (well, ACPI needs to be enabled in the
> > kernel anyway for other reasons, like the ability to suspend to RAM) and then
> > it turns out that we have to add some ACPI hooks to it, that might be difficult
> > to do cleanly.
>
> doing suspend-to-ram should be orthoginal to doing hibernate-to-disk. some
> people will want both, some won't.
>
> at the moment kexec doesn't work with ACPI, that is a limitation that
> should be fixed, but makeing it able to work with ACPI enabled doesn't
> mean that it needs to be changed to depend on ACPI and it especially
> doesn't mean that it should pick up the limitations of the existing ACPI
> based hibernation approaches.
>
> if there is no ACPI on the system it should work, if ther is ACPI on the
> system it should still work.
>
> > Thus, it seems reasonable to think of the ACPI handling in advance.
>
> but don't become dependant on ACPI.

Not dependent, but with the possibility of ACPI support taken into account.

Arguably you can create a framework that, for example, will not allow the user
to adjust the size of the image, but then adding such a functionality may
require you to change the entire design.  Same thing with ACPI.

I would rather avoid such pitfalls, if I could.

Greetings,
Rafael

--
"Premature optimization is the root of all evil." - Donald Knuth