Re: Hibernation considerations

On Monday, 16 July 2007 14:38, Jim Crilly wrote:
> On 07/16/07 02:06:27PM +0200, Rafael J. Wysocki wrote:

> > > this is not hibernate as I and many others are thinking of it.
> > >
> > > hibernate as we are thinking would work on basicly any hardware, including
> > > things with no ACPI or power savings support. and the system could be in
> > > hibernate mode for any time period.
> > >
> > > for that matter, after a system is put into hibernate mode the system
> > > could be completely disassembled and any components replaced and the
> > > system would work after a resume (assuming you still have access to the
> > > suspend image)
> >
> > Well, this is not how ACPI defines the S4 sleep state.  If the system is in
> > S4, that corresponds to our hibernation, you are _not_ allowed to disassemble
> > it.
> >
> > I've just done an experiment on my test desktop.  I had enabled suspend support
> > in the CMOS setup and afterwards I made Linux hibernate in the "platform" mode.
> > Then, when the system was powred on, the BIOS showed me a nice "Resume from
> > hibernation" screen that is not normally displayed during boot.  This clearly
> > means that some information has been preserved by the platform across the
> > hibernate/restore cycle.  We are supposed to handle that.
> >

> What I believe he's getting at is that Linux hibernation shouldn't be tied
> to any ACPI states. Yes, when available and working most people will want
> to enter ACPI S4 but we should still have the option of doing a normal
> poweroff. With the latter method it would look just like regular power off/on
> cycle to the firmware. And that would definitely be useful for things like
> working around buggy ACPI implementations or supporting platforms that don't
> do ACPI at all. That is the difference between the platform and shutdown
> options in /sys/power/disk, isn't it?

Yes, but this is not my point.

The point is that there are systems that _require_ the ACPI handling to work
correctly after the restore and we need to that _that_ into consideration.

IOW, there are poeple for whom the non-ACPI framework won't work as expected.

Greetings,
Rafael

--
"Premature optimization is the root of all evil." - Donald Knuth