Re: Hibernation considerations

[email protected] wrote:
> On Mon, 16 Jul 2007, Al Boldi wrote:
> > [email protected] wrote:
> >> suspend-to-RAM should not involve kexec, the only reason for doing the
> >> kexec to to get a seperate userspace to use for suspend-to-disk
> >> operations instead of trying to partially freeze the sustem and keep
> >> useing it.
> >
> > Or you could do suspend-to-disk-and-RAM.  But in the above case, it was
> > meant to test kexec compatibility with device suspend/resume calls.
>
> the point I am trying to make here is that there is no reason that the
> kexec approach needs to do _any_ suspend/resume calls.

When you go through ACPI, then that implies calling suspend/resume calls.

> all that is needed is the ability of the new kernel to initialize the
> devices it needs.

We have to go through ACPI, for wakeup functions to succeed.  A simple
power-off won't do.

> suspend-to-disk-and-ram could be implemented as three
> seperate steps
>
> 1. suspend-to-disk
>
> 2. resume-from-disk
>
> 3. suspend-to-ram
>
> followed by either
>
> 4. resume-from-ram
>
> or
>
> 4. battery dies and loptop powers off completely
>
> 5. power-on boot.
>
> 6. resume-from-disk
>
> all that you need to do is to make sure that the system doesn't run
> anything that would affect permanent media or the outside world between
> steps #2 and #3

Exactly, which is why your scheme would break down on #3, and that's why you
need to call S3 from within the kexec'd hibernation kernel after saving the
hibernation image.

Thanks!

--
Al