Re: [V9fs-developer] [GIT PULL] 9p Patches for 2.6.23 merge window

On Sun, 15 Jul 2007, Latchesar Ionkov wrote:

I thought that it is not a good idea to keep the v9fs_ prefix for code
that is in different places (fs/9p and net/9p). If keeping the old
prefix is more acceptable, I can create a new patch without the
"v9fs_"->"p9_" renames.

do the code reorg and the name changes as two different patches. it makes it much easier to see that the rename doesn't change any functionality, and makes the code reorg much easier to see.

David Lang

Thanks,
   Lucho

On 7/15/07, Linus Torvalds <[email protected]> wrote:

 On Sat, 14 Jul 2007, Eric Van Hensbergen wrote:
> > The bulk of the changes were in the reorganization patch which mostly
>  moved files and interfaces around in preparation for work on an
>  in-kernel 9p server.

 Please use "git diff -C --stat --summary" to generate the diffstat
 summary.

 In particular, because you didn't use -C (or -M), git have you an
 old-style diffstat without renames, so the diffstat doesn't show that a
 lot of it was moving code around.

 (That said, you seem to have changed names a lot too, so it's not pure
 code movement).

 With rename detection enabled, I get

 due to finding some (partially dubious) renames:

  rename fs/9p/mux.h => include/net/9p/conn.h (53%)
  rename {fs => include/net}/9p/transport.h (59%)
  rename {fs => net}/9p/conv.c (55%)
  rename {fs => net}/9p/fcprint.c (64%)
  rename {fs => net}/9p/mux.c (55%)

 even though is misses a lot of others (due to all the "v9fs" -> "p9"
 changes in the source code too - was that really worth it?).

                         Linus