Re: Hibernation considerations

On Sun, 15 Jul 2007, Alan Stern wrote:

On Sun, 15 Jul 2007, Al Boldi wrote:

Alan Stern wrote:
On Sun, 15 Jul 2007, Al Boldi wrote:

This should be the responsibility of the kexec'd hibernating kernel.
Note though in (6), the normal kernel takes care of preparing devices,
then the hibernating kernel dumps the image and either calls S4 or S3.
On resume from S3 it can immediately switch over to the normal kernel,
and from S4 the known bootup would occur.

Is it really that simple?  Somehow I doubt it.  In order for some
devices to remain available for the kexec'd kernel to use, they cannot
be suspended at the ACPI level.  So the kexec'd kernel will have to
handle the ACPI requirements for those devices.  Likewise, it would
have to handle the ACPI interactions which need to be done after all
devices are prepared for the transition to S3 or S4.

Ok, after applying the latest kexec patches, I was able to use the kexec'd
kernel to suspend to ram and resume to the normal kernel, while working
under a full-blown X session.  It went without a hitch.  All that is needed
now are the dump/restore hibernation-image routines.

That's exactly my point.  While doing suspend-to-RAM from a kexec'd
kernel may be simple, saving the hibernation image will add
complications.

suspend-to-RAM should not involve kexec, the only reason for doing the kexec to to get a seperate userspace to use for suspend-to-disk operations instead of trying to partially freeze the sustem and keep useing it.

David Lang